Also of March 4, 2010, I have not received the written notice by which the landlord claims all or any portion of the security deposit with the itemized amounts claimed, nor have I received any portion of the security deposit. Section 89-8-21 MS Code: Tenant’s Security Deposit. What advise would you have for someone in my situation?
When my roommate moved out we gave the LL notice and requested that they be removed from the lease. The LL said no problem. Later when I was moving out the LL said to remove my roommate from the lease I would have to sign another lease.
My question is where is the RCW that tells how a LL should handle this situation? Is there and RCW saying that a roommate can be crossed off the lease or an RCW saying that a new lease must be signed to remove the roommate?
I rent a room in a large house with six other roommates. No lease.
I’ve had problems with the caretaker, and to a lesser extent, the owners.
Here’s my complaint against them, in no particular order of severity:
- Hit me up to pitch in on work on the property that he doesn’t want to do. E.g. I’ve done yard work and other things for the owners, which under Minnesota state law, I’m entitled to be compensated for.
- Hit me up to share in the cost for house supplies he’s bought (everyone buys their own.)
- If I refuse the things he asks of me, he becomes hostile or even threatening, including threat of eviction.
- And it’s generally a hostile environment to live in. There’s a number of examples I could provide: like the day he locked me out of the house in the dead of winter. (Eventually, a roommate let me in.)
- Failed to pay for damages to my personal property.
- Failed to return things I’ve lent, or used them and then threw them away.
- Compared to the other tenants, I’m by-and-large singled out. So the patterns of treatment tend to be prejudicial.
- Failed to repair/replace basic appliances (fridge.)
- Failed to supply CRP’s.
- Ignore valid complaints about the caretaker, property, etc.
I realize some of these things aren’t terrible compared to what other people have been put through, but the fact remains: who should have to pay rent for this BS? What I want is what I would hope anyone living together would be entitled to: domestic peace, the free and unhindered access to my rented room and basic facilities, and without attempts to exploit or harass. As I’m not getting that, I want them to pay my moving expenses since I’m forced to leave.
Do I have a case, what kind of damages could I seek, and in what court?
Thanks very much.
My children’s Mother has been steadily going downhill – she is dating unsavory men, barely works and lives in a dump in a very bad neighborhood. It is a 2 bedroom basement apartment she shares with a 47 year old Hispanic busboy. When they visit her my oldest son (17) sleeps on a cot in the hall and my younger sons (9, 13) sleep in their Mother’s bed with her. They do not have much of their own stuff there, and their enthusiasm for seeing her has faded in the past few years.
I support my 3 sons entirely (she could not afford to pay child support, and I don’t need it from her) and she still cannot provide basic shelter for them. My oldest does not even want to see her anymore, and I don’t blame him.
I am VERY concerned about the safety of my children, and want to stop them from sleeping over until she gets her act together. I am hoping that will get her to do something about her situation. I am not sure how to start this process. Should I call NYS CPS, get a lawyer, or what? My ex is a hothead and I am concerned that she will consider this a threat to her (everything is about her) as opposed to being about the kids.
I don’t want to limit her access (I never have) but don’t want them in that apartment.
I’m new to these boards and hope that someone can answer a few questions or point me in the right directions to get answers.
In Sept of 2008, I accepted a nanny position working for a family in Italy. The mom was American, the dad was Italian. (I’m American.) I was there for a total of almost six months, but put in my notice after four months because it wasn’t working out. I stayed an additional seven weeks after putting in my notice, in order to let them hire and transition another nanny. After I got home to the USA, my last paycheck–which was supposed to be transferred into my bank account–never arrived. After several days, I received an e-mail from the mother than they didn’t intend to pay me. The total they owed me was $6,780 USA$.
At the time, I felt there was absolutely nothing I could do about this, since they were in Italy and I was in the USA. In addition, this family also lives part of the year in Nigeria and at the time they withheld my pay, left immediately for Nigeria for several months. There was no way I’d be able to track them down there or take legal action.
However, since all this happened, I’ve been told that they’ve bought a house in the USA. It’s been suggested to me that since they now own property in the USA, I could take them to small claims court in that jurisdiction.
Is it feasible to take them to small claims court and attempt to get my money back? What would be involved in doing that? And have I waited too long to take action? My last paycheck should have been at the end of Feb 2009, so almost a year ago now.
There are other details to the situation, but that’s the gist of it. I’ll start with that information and can elaborate if anyone answers this post.
Shortly about my situation:
I haven’t been credit conscious until my husband and I recently decided to preapprove for a house loan. We currently own a house, which we would like to sell and buy another one.
During the preapproval process I learned that my score went down from 700 in September 2009 to 591 in January 2010. My husband’s score is in 560s. The reasons for this are pretty stupid:
- one 30 days late $70 payment
- two 30 days late credit card payments
- above 30% balance on a store credit card (currently paid off)
- application for a loan to upgrade my car, which I got approved for, but then decided to wait
- 2 yr old 60 day payments on a credit card
- my credit history is short (3 year average of all accounts)
All of these problems were caused by me and my husband being disorganized lately, and not being credit conscious. From now on, I am watching our payments, credit report and credit score like a hauk.
These are our accounts:
1) Mortgage $197K (limit $206K), no late payments (my husband’s)
2) Truck loan, installment $ 2,560 (limit 2,850) (joint)
3) Car loan, installment $1,930 (limit $9,323) (joint)
4) Credit card, revolving $3,500 (limit $3,950) (my husband’s)
5) Personal loan, installment $2,330 (limit $3,840) (joint)
6) Piano loan, installment $1,890 (limit $4,200) (mine)
7) Department store card, revolving $0 (limit $1,500) (mine)
I have a steady job with an OK income (around $3400 take home). If I try hard, I will be able to make some extra payments to pay off some of the accounts earlier.
1) Which of the accounts should be a priority try to pay off first?
2) Should I apply for a new credit card to improve my score? My only credit card is a department store card with $1,500 limit. I don’t really need a credit card, but maybe I should open one, make small purchases and immediately pay it off?
3) We have a mortgage of $197,000 (limit $206,000), no late payments. For some reason my name is not on this account, only my husband. Should we add my name to this account?
I will appreciate any input.
Thank you for your time.
One of my co-worker encountering this situation. I am not sure whether this legal.
He leased a car and it is near the end of the term ( still 4 more months on it). The dealership said he can turn in the existing lease and enter into new lease. He returned the car and leased a new one. The Dealer is saying he still has to pay 4 more months on the old car which he does not even own. The Dealer even sold his old car already.
Let us know what legal option we have here.
As I mentioned in another thread a while back, I had a few hits to my credit which were based on false info, and have since been corrected. It didn’t take long to correct, but in the mean time it did other damage like causing a credit card limit to be lowered by a lot (for me at least) and a closed LoC that I wasn’t really using anyway.
Now that the problem has been corrected, and i’m trying to do a refi on my mortgage soon, I’m wondering one thing. If I were to ask my bank to reinstate my former limit (about 8k more than it is now) would the boost to my score caused by the lower credit/debt ratio be worth the hit I would take from having them do a hard pull in the SHORT term (since I want to refi soon)- or any other hits I would take that i’m not aware of from that change?
Do banks ever re-instate a limit without doing a hard pull if I explain to them the situation, or would they need to do the pull anyway to verify that the negative effects were removed?
I’m not sure if this has any effect on the answer- but I actually have no outstanding balance on my revolving accounts right now, so I’m not sure the increase would actually affect the credit/debt ratio that much (since using 0% of a higher limit is still 0%), but I thought maybe the fact that the credit limit is higher might help me overall?